2018 West Coast Goldfish Palooza II™ Educational Event
(Lectures, Show, Sale & School)
The West Coast Goldfish Palooza II (WCGP II) is primarily an educational event that will host a series of lectures by board members of TGC and guest speakers as well as host a goldfish show and competition. This year, we will be offering a judges school on Sunday, July 1st. General admission to the event is $10 (free for children under 13 with paying adult) and can be purchased ahead of time or on the day of the event. Show entry and judges school are available at additional costs.
Buy in Person: Genki Nishigoi, Coast Gem USA, King Koi & Goldfish, and Connie’s Pond & Koi will all have superior goldfish stock to view, purchase and take home. Excellent fish from around the world, including Malaysia, Japan, China, Thailand and Vietnam. Vendor sales available Saturday from 9am-5pm and Sunday 9am-2pm.
WGCP II will offer three lectures on Saturday, June 30th at 10am, 12pm, and 2pm. No reservations or additional costs are required to attend the individual lectures on Saturday. Each lecture has approximately 50 seats and space is available on a first come, first serve basis. The lectures this year will be on “Goldfish Nutrition” with Hikari USA’s President, Chris Clevers, The Medicine Cabinet with TGC’s President, Gary Hater, and Selecting Fancy Goldfish for Display Tanks with TGC’s VP of Education, Joshua McWilliams.
WCGP II will have a fancy goldfish competition for hobbyist with eight classes:
- American born in 2018 Japanese Ranchu / Top View Ranchu
- 2017 and older Japanese Ranchu / Top View Ranchu ( imported or domestic)
- Chinese Ranchu / Side View Ranchu
- Telescope Eye – Including Butterfly, Demekin, Broadtail
- Pond Varieties – Including All Single Tail and Long Bodied Goldfish – Wakin, Tamasaba, Shubunkin, etc.
- Other – Including Jikin, Pearlscale, Celestial Eye, Bubble Eye, Pom Pom, Lionhead, Veiltail, Fantail, and Cross-Bred Varieties
The hobbyist competition will be judged in an educational fashion by TGC Certified Judges, Joshua McWilliams, Gary Hater and James Alderson.
The exhibition entry fee is $15 for the first 20 gallon tank and $10 for each additional tank. You can choose to stock the tank(s) with one, two or three fish depending on their size. Under 3″ fish can be stocked 3 fish per tank, fish between 3″ and 6″ can be stocked 2 fish per tank, and fish 6″+ can be stocked 1 per tank. Space is limited and guaranteed only with preregistration.
To bring your fish to the show, simply pack the fish for transportation (we recommend a large food safe Sterlite container with a battery powered pump running an air stone or sponge filter OR bagged and packed in oxygen) and then bring your fish to the event before entries close at 2:30pm on Saturday. We will check you and your fish in at registration and provide you with your tank number(s). The tanks are pre-filled with 24-hour aged and dechlorinated water, and you can acclimate your fish on site as soon as you arrive.
Raffle & Silent Auction
Donated fish and products will be raffled on Saturday Afternoon. Tickets are $5 each or six for $25. Proceeds will go to the next West Coast Goldfish Palooza. The Grand Prize is a Coralife Biocube 16 and matching stand!
On Sunday, July 1st, we will host a TGC Judges School. The school is intended us for those interested in becoming a TGC certified judge and for those who are interested in deepening knowledge of show quality fish. The school is an additional $40 fee which you can opt in for on this page. Sunday is still open to attendees who are not participating in the Judges School to attend the goldfish keepers social, shop our vendors, and more.
Requirements to Participate in Addition to Registration:
- Be a Current Member of The Goldfish Council in good standing.
- An active goldfish keeper for a minimum of two years.
- Bring a paper or electronic copy of the revised standards
Requirements for becoming a Certified Judge:
- Take a certification class such as this
- Pass the online test
- Complete ten hours of committee or event work for the TGC
- Apprentice judge one school certified by the TGC
Food & Drink
Antojitos Caitime, a San Jose based Mexican Food Truck will be at the event both Saturday and Sunday from 11am to 3pm vending food and beverages.
Schedule of Events
Friday – June 29th, 2018
- 12:00pm Set up with Volunteers – We are seeking volunteers, please contact us through our facebook page to inquire about volunteer details
Saturday – June 30th, 2017
- 9:00 am Coffee & Tea, Entries and registration accepted
- 10:00 am SEMINAR ONE: Goldfish Nutrition with Hikari USA’s President, Chris Clevers
- 12:00 pm SEMINAR TWO: Medicine Cabinet with Gary Hater, TGC’s President
- 2:00 pm SEMINAR THREE: Selecting Fancy Goldfish for Display Tanks with Joshua McWilliams, TGC’s VP of Education
- 2:30pm Entries close, competition preview allowed
- 3:00pm – 4:30pm Judging, Raffle
- 5:00 pm Winners Review and Awards
- 5:30 pm Clean-Up
Sunday July 1st – 2018
- 9:00am Coffee & Tea
- 10:00am – 11:00 am Group Discussion on Food Types and Feeding Regimens
- 11:00 am – 12:00 pm Group Discussion on Tank/Pond Set ups
- Raffle 1:00pm
- Live Goldfish Auction 2:00pm
Sunday Judges School Tentative Schedule:
- 9:00 -11:00am Review and discussion of the top Five Exhibited Goldfish; Ranchu Oranda, Ryukin, Veiltail, Telescope
- 11:00am-12:30pm MOCK judging and scoring of a group of fish
- 12:30pm-1:30pm Lunch Break
- 1:30-3:00 Review and discussion of next five varieties; Shubunkins, Pearlscales, Bubble Eyes, Phoenix, Jikin,
- 3:00-3:45 MOCK Judging and scoring
- 3:45- 4:00 break and discussion
- 4:00-5:00 Deep Dive into Orandas; Chinese, Thai, Red Cap, Yuan Bao, followed by a Deep Dive into Ryukins; Chinese, Broadtail, Thai, Short Tail, Classic.
- 5:00-5:30 discussion and certificates
- 5:30-6:00 Tear Down by all.
2018 West Coast Goldfish Council Merch
T-Shirts, Sweatshirts and Mugs Available at https://tinyurl.com/y7kyoz2r