2019 West Coast Goldfish Palooza III™ Educational Event
(Lectures, Show, Sale & School)
The West Coast Goldfish Palooza III (WCGP III) is primarily an educational event that will host a series of lectures by board members of TGC and guest speakers as well as host a goldfish show and competition. General admission to the event is $10 (free for children under 13 with paying adult) and can be purchased ahead of time or on the day of the event. The General Admission covers you for both the Saturday and Sunday entrance fee including all lectures (Show Entry Cost is Separate)
Buy in Person: Genki Nishigoi, King Koi & Goldfish, Connie’s Pond & Koi, and International Aquarium will all have superior goldfish stock to view, purchase and take home. Excellent fish from around the world, including Malaysia, Japan, China, Thailand and Vietnam. Vendor sales are available Saturday from 10:00am-4:00pm and Sunday 10:00am-4:00pm.
WGCP III will offer two lectures on Saturday, June 22nd at 10:30am and 2:00pm and two lectures on Sunday, June 23rd at 10:30am and 12:00pm. No reservations or additional costs are required to attend the individual lectures. Each lecture has approximately 50 seats and space is available on a first come, first serve basis. The lectures this year will be on “Goldfish Genetics” with TGC President, Rob Crosby, “Goldfish Breeding, Raising, and Grooming” with TGC’s former President, Gary Hater, Japanese Ranchu with renowned Ranchu Breeder, Jeff Thompson, and “DIY Goldfish Builds and Hacks” with TGC’s VP of Education, Joshua McWilliams.
On Saturday, June 22nd, we will also host a “Ask Me Anything” event at 12:30pm with experts Jeff Thompson, Gary Hater, and Rob Crosby.
WCGP III will have a fancy goldfish competition for hobbyists with eight classes:
- American born in 2018 Japanese Ranchu / Top View Ranchu
- 2018 and older Japanese Ranchu / Top View Ranchu ( imported or domestic)
- Chinese Ranchu / Side View Ranchu
- Telescope Eye – Including Butterfly, Demekin, Broadtail
- Pond Varieties – Including All Single Tail and Long Bodied Goldfish – Wakin, Tamasaba, Shubunkin, etc.
- Other – Including Jikin, Pearlscale, Celestial Eye, Bubble Eye, Pom Pom, Lionhead, Veiltail, Fantail, and Cross-Bred Varieties
The hobbyist competition will be judged in an educational fashion by TGC Certified Judges, Joshua McWilliams and Rob Crosby.
The exhibition entry fee is $15 for the first 20 gallon tank and $10 for each additional tank. You can choose to stock the tank(s) with one, two or three fish depending on their size. Under 3″ fish can be stocked 3 fish per tank, fish between 3″ and 6″ can be stocked 2 fish per tank, and fish 6″+ can be stocked 1 per tank. Space is limited and guaranteed only with preregistration.
To bring your fish to the show, simply pack the fish for transportation (we recommend a large food safe Sterlite container with a battery powered pump running an air stone or sponge filter OR bagged and packed in oxygen) and then bring your fish to the event before entries close at 1:30pm on Saturday. We will check you and your fish in at registration and provide you with your tank number(s). The tanks are pre-filled with 24-hour aged and dechlorinated water, and you can acclimate your fish on site as soon as you arrive.
Raffle & Live Auction
Donated fish and products will be raffled on Sunday Afternoon. Tickets are $5 each or six for $25. Proceeds will go to the next West Coast Goldfish Palooza. On Sunday at 1:30pm we will host a live goldfish auction. Fish for the auction will be provided by TGC breeders and hobbyist as well as on site vendors.
Food & Drink
Antojitos Caitime, a San Jose based Mexican Food Truck will be at the event both Saturday and Sunday from 11am to 3pm vending food and beverages. Water will be available for sale during the course of the event at our information tent.
Schedule of Events
Friday – June 21st, 2019
- 12:00pm Set up with Volunteers – We are seeking volunteers, please contact us through our facebook page to inquire about volunteer details
Saturday – June 22nd, 2019
- 10:00 am: Admission Starts ($10)
- 10:30am-11:30am: Lecture #1: Goldfish Genetics with Rob Crosby
- 12:30pm-1:30pm: Goldfish Ask Me Anything with Gary Hater, Rob Crosby, Jeff Thompson, Joshua McWilliams
- 2:00pm-3:00pm: Lecture #2: Goldfish Breeding, Raising, and Grooming with Gary Hater
- 3:30-4:30pm: Goldfish Show & Competition
- 4:30pm-5:00pm: Raffle
Sunday June 23rd 1st – 2019
- 10:00am: Admission Starts ($10)
- 10:30am-11:30am: : Lecture #3: Japanese Ranchu with Jeff Thompson
- 12:00pm-1:00pm: Lecture #4: DIY Goldfish Builds and Hacks with Joshua McWilliams
- 1:30pm-2:30pm: Live Goldfish Auction
- 3:00pm-4:00pm: Raffle
Taco Truck: 11am-1pm both days
2019 West Coast Goldfish Council Merch
A limited number of West Coast Goldfish Palooza T-Shirts and sweatshirts will be available at the event. To guarantee purchase on Teespring.